A Perfect Combination of History, Elegance and Art – Qom Silk Carpet
For 1700 years, the Silk Road has been the greatest interconnected network of trade routes in the world. It connected the East to the West, South of Asia to the North of Africa and finally to the West of Europe. This route had a significant effect on the life of the inhabitants.
The Silk Road passed through China along Dunhuang and Gan-Su and then through central Asia, it reached important cities of Persian Dynasty including Samarkand, Bukhara, Sarakhs, Nishapur, Gorgan and Rey and finally it continued to Qom, Qazvin, Zanjan, Ardabil and to the present-day Turkey.
The most significant and major trade item exported through the Silk Road was silk. Many Iranians imported raw silk from China and after it was processed, they sold it to western countries.
Today after many years of experience in importing silk from the great civilization of China to the ancient civilization of Iran, the elegance of art can be clearly seen in handmade silk carpets.
It was such a dream to observe the imported silk to Iran during all these years, the silk which were then used to create handmade silk carpets by the love, art, experience and elegance of the weavers, the handmade carpets which were the combination of history and art and could be offered on the world market as the luxury and timeless goods with ultimate elegance.
Today as a result of the knowledge, experience and craft of the weavers, these carpets are exported around the world.
The carpet is not only a floor covering which is used to make a house warmer but also it is a cultural symbol that studying its history can take you from West to East. All researchers unanimously acknowledge that carpet weaving has originated in the Asia and from the great civilization of Iran.
• Warp and weft of Qom carpets are made from pure silk and Qom exquisite carpets are woven from delicate silk yarns.
• Qom carpet designs have various colors and there are almost 20 to 100 colors in a carpet.
• Qom silk carpets have varied and numerous designs which are inspired by historical stories.
• The combination of designs, novel dyeing techniques and the harmony of colors and designs are elaborately done to create the special style of Qom carpets.
• The number of Radge in Qom handmade carpets is more than other handmade carpets.
• To dye the silk of Qom carpets, natural and herbal colors are used. As well, these carpets are dyed, dried and washed in the open air.
• Qom handmade carpets are considered the antique goods, therefore the more they are used, the more valuable they will become.
• Qom handmade carpet is the only luxury good which is totally produced based on environmental standards. In its production process, no harm is caused to the environment and only natural and non-chemical substances are used.
Qom silk carpet is one of the few goods that design and production of which requires cooperation of dozens of craftsmen. It is somehow like an orchestra, in which various musicians play music notes with a harmony under the supervision of an orchestra conductor. Likewise, a silk carpet is the result of cooperation of dozens of craftsmen who work together during the processes of designing, dyeing and weaving a carpet.
These features make Qom handmade carpet a unique artwork by which everyone is encouraged to purchase it. Qom silk carpet is used to decorate the most beautiful palaces and halls in the world and undoubtedly, only a very few of the wealthy people can afford it.