Tabriz and Its Culture

Located in the northwest of Iran, Tabriz is the fourth largest city in the country. It is the capital of East Azerbaijan Province, which is located next to Aji Chay (Talkheh Rood) and Quru rivers.

With a population of nearly three million people who make a living from automotive, machine, petroleum and petrochemical industries, Tabriz has a significant role in the economy of Iran. In addition, many skilled craft workers, painters, musicians and authors who are living in the city have made Tabriz one of the main cultural centers of Iran. Tabriz inhabitant artists have established a national movement called Tabrizi style. Although, Tabriz has witnessed devastating earthquakes throughout history, its artisans are still determined and have maintained their special status in exquisite Iranian carpet weaving.

Tabriz Carpet Weavers’ Craftsmanship

There is some evidence that history of Tabriz carpet dates back to the third century and the Sassanid era. The golden age of carpet weaving, however, was the twelfth and sixteenth centuries. Handmade carpets woven during this period were the most valuable and exquisite carpets in Tabriz. Tabriz boasts that large families of skilled carpet weavers who have passed down this noble art from generation to generation are living in this city. Accordingly, there are special designs and colors in Tabriz carpets which are often the heritage of a particular family. Some designs and patterns, however, are more prominent among Tabriz carpets including herbal designs which depict the four seasons and farms. Religious designs are other essential elements in Tabriz handmade carpets. The dominant colors of Tabriz carpets are blue and red which are woven on a cream-colored background. To weave these carpets, the weavers tie olive and Khaki yarns carefully and based on the pattern in order to achieve a medium carpet density with the desired dimension. Criteria such as the skill of carpet weaver and the use of high quality cotton and wool, has made Tabriz carpet one of the most exquisite Iranian handmade carpets and that is why it deserves to adorn many luxurious religious and historical sites around the world. To preserve your Tabriz carpet and keep it soft and velvety, you need to wash it regularly and quickly fix any defects. However, Tabriz handmade carpet is soft and durable.

Design and Pattern of Tabriz Carpet

Tabriz carpet is woven in different designs that the most widespread design of which is found in coral background and fish patterns. Due to its popularity, this carpet is also woven in different forms, dimensions and qualities. A high quality Tabriz carpet is very expensive. The higher the number of knots per square inch (600 – 850), the better the carpet will be. Tabriz carpet usually has the wool beaming and is woven with soft and delicate wool pile. In some carpets, a small amount of silk is used and some believe this is the reason why Tabriz carpets are expensive. However, this is a wrong belief because the value of Tabriz carpets is determined by the number of knots per square inch. Fish design is one of the prevalent motifs used in Tabriz carpets. Since it was first woven in Herat, Afghanistan, it is called Herati design. This motif is one of the most widely used patterns in Iranian handmade carpets. Fish design is created by the repetition of flower patterns with surrounding sharp leaves. Some people believe that this design looks like the fishes swimming in a lake. The basic idea behind the design is very simple, yet the repetition allows the carpet weaver to act creatively. This way, Tabriz carpet is woven in different designs and patterns. Tabriz carpets are woven with various Toranji designs, motifs of various objects as well as the motifs of plants and animals even in a three-dimensional shape. These designs, in addition to Tabriz carpets, are used in carpets woven in Hamadan, Bijar and other cities. Since almost every region has its own carpet weaving style, the quality, price and design of carpets are different from each other. Therefore, if you are planning to purchase a carpet, look for a reputable salesperson. The color palette varies from bold, mild, and contrasting to even pastel colors. In certain parts of Tabriz carpet, there are herbal patterns. Eslimi Patterns or wavy lines, however, are rarely found in the carpet. The main criterion for determining the value and quality of Tabriz carpet is to count its rajs (It is the Iranian unit of measurement for knot density). Experts believe that comparing the length of a wrapped cigar with the knots behind the rug is the main origin of raj. The formula for calculating the number of knots per square inch (KPSI) is as follows:

2^ ((Raj / 7) * 2.54) = KPSI

8 Replies to “Specifications of the Best Tabriz Handmade Carpet: Weaving Techniques and Yarn Quality”

1. christian louboutin shoes

I definitely wanted to type a quick note to be able to say thanks to you for all the wonderful facts you are giving at this site. My time consuming internet investigation has at the end of the day been recognized with really good facts and strategies to share with my companions. I ‘d express that many of us readers are very much blessed to exist in a superb place with so many awesome individuals with beneficial things. I feel really grateful to have used your entire website page and look forward to so many more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thank you once more for everything.

2. nike air max 95

Thanks so much for giving everyone an extremely wonderful chance to check tips from this site. It’s usually very sweet plus jam-packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office acquaintances to search your site more than three times in one week to study the latest things you will have. Of course, we’re actually fascinated for the fantastic secrets served by you. Certain 2 ideas in this posting are surely the very best I’ve ever had.

3. louboutins

I truly wanted to construct a small message to thank you for those fantastic tips you are giving at this website. My prolonged internet lookup has at the end of the day been paid with useful tips to talk about with my company. I would suppose that many of us site visitors are very much fortunate to be in a magnificent community with so many brilliant people with beneficial tips and hints. I feel truly grateful to have come across your web page and look forward to tons of more awesome times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.

4. fila shoes

I intended to compose you a little observation in order to say thanks a lot over again for all the breathtaking tips you have contributed in this article. This has been certainly pretty generous with people like you in giving extensively all a lot of folks would have sold as an e-book to get some dough for their own end, especially considering the fact that you could possibly have tried it if you ever desired. These points as well worked to be a great way to fully grasp the rest have similar interest just as mine to find out many more on the subject of this matter. I’m sure there are thousands of more pleasurable times ahead for many who start reading your blog.

5. jordan shoes

I together with my guys have already been reviewing the nice key points on your web blog and then the sudden got an awful suspicion I never thanked the web blog owner for those tips. All the boys are already for this reason very interested to learn all of them and have absolutely been tapping into them. I appreciate you for simply being simply thoughtful as well as for finding this sort of decent themes millions of individuals are really eager to understand about. Our sincere regret for not expressing gratitude to earlier.

6. longchamp

I precisely wanted to thank you very much again. I am not sure what I would’ve achieved in the absence of the type of creative ideas provided by you directly on that field. It previously was a very hard issue in my circumstances, nevertheless viewing a new expert style you processed the issue forced me to leap for delight. Now i’m happy for your advice as well as pray you realize what a powerful job you were providing teaching men and women all through your blog post. I’m certain you have never encountered all of us.

7. curry shoes

I must convey my respect for your kind-heartedness for men who must have help on this question. Your real dedication to passing the message around appeared to be surprisingly valuable and have enabled regular people like me to get to their pursuits. The warm and friendly hints and tips entails so much a person like me and still more to my peers. Thanks a ton; from all of us.

8. supreme new york

I truly wanted to send a quick message so as to thank you for some of the unique information you are placing here. My long internet research has at the end been recognized with high-quality knowledge to share with my guests. I ‘d tell you that most of us visitors are truly lucky to be in a notable website with very many special people with very helpful concepts. I feel very fortunate to have seen the web site and look forward to many more excellent moments reading here. Thanks a lot once more for everything.